Tuesday, April 17, 2012

also this morning:

a communique from John Lydon via his publicist:

"I would like to very strongly distance myself from the recent stories and campaign to push God Save The Queen for the number 1 spot over the Jubilee weekend. It is certainly not my personal plan or aim. I am proud of what The Sex Pistols achieved and always will be but this campaign totally undermines what The Sex Pistols stood for. This is not my campaign. I am pleased that the The Sex Pistols recordings are being put out there for a new generation however I wish for no part in the circus that is being built up around it. I am currently very focused on Public Image Ltd"

possible interpretations:

* literally what he more or less says, doesn't want a Sex Pistols Revival to distract from his PiL reactivation

* doesn't see the point in a retro-necro reenactment of something that really meant something in 1977 - getting to #1 despite the ban - but now would be an empty echo

* actually enjoys his new cuddly "housewife's favourite" image post-I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here and being clutched to the bosom of the Great British Public, so doesn't want to risk being Public Enemy #1 again... or jeopardise the revenue stream from things like the Country Life butter ads

2 comments:

bimble said...

I'm assuming you're aware of this, but just in case: live footage from last month's Keith Levene and Jah Wobble gigs with Nathan Maverick, aka Johnny Rotter of the Sex Pistols experience, standing in for Lydon, who I understand is otherwise engaged these days... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmCejjV8wmM

bimble said...

I was at the Wobble/Levene gig in Manchester, but I've otherwise only just discovered right now that Levene has additionally previously played live with tribute band 'Public Imitation Limited' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NQFS6ns118. I'm assuming that this band has the same personnel as 'The Sex Pistols Experience' but i haven't checked. I'm too disconcerted to look any further after finding this footage of The 'Experience playing Eddie Cochran's 'Something Else', with their bas player Kid Vicious on vocals... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z7t5AxQ3lA&feature=relmfu . Needless to say Public Imitation Limited also perform the post Wobble and Levene PiL material. I can barely bring myself to tell you that the Manchester Levene / Wobble performance of 'Public Image' featured a local guest star on vocals - who else but Dermo, of Northside! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW1fv8ObSwg